Whether you are renovating your home, repainting it or simply selecting accent pieces to decorate it, there is one question that hounds everyone: matte or gloss, which finish works better? Let’s avoid this bone of contention in your design process. We give you a simple guide on the pros and cons of using matte vs glossy finish so you can make the best decision for your home. Read on to find out more.
|Scratches and imperfections are not visible easily||Scratches and imperfections are easily visible|
|Diffuses light, adding richness||Reflects light, adding vibrancy|
|May make the room seem smaller||Makes the room appear bigger by reflecting light|
|May be a little difficult to maintain||Easy to clean and maintain|
|Mostly suited for rustic and traditional look||Mostly suited for elegant and modern settings|
Matter of Matte: Matte Finish Laminate
Matte-finish surfaces usually have dull and roughened appearance, as of metals, paint, paper or glass. Additionally, matte-finished interiors are trending now and more people are opting for it. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of this type of finish.
Pros of Matte Finish
- Due to its muted appearance, imperfections such as scratches are less obvious and visible to the naked eye.
- Matte or flat finishes add richness to interiors as they diffuse light falling on surfaces. If you need texture, matte finish should be your pick.
- Since there is no reflection of light, there is increased colour consistency, making the colour appear smoother.
Cons of Matte Finish
Matte surfaces are great for giving your home a rustic or traditional look. It is suited for a darker aesthetic. Yes, matte-finished surfaces look rich and attractive but they do have their share of disadvantages:
- Matte surfaces do not reflect light but absorb it. So, before you choose dark matte colours for your room, remember that they may make rooms look smaller
- Mattes are not as smooth as glossy finishes and can therefore be a bit difficult to clean
Go with Gloss: Gloss Finish Laminate
A glossy/high-gloss finish is a reflective or shiny surface that has a satiny look to it. Moreover, most modern urban homes have glossy interiors that lend the house a beautiful look.
Pros of Glossy Finish
- Glossy finish surfaces reflect light so they are great for smaller spaces, as they make a space appear larger
- These shiny surfaces are very smooth, making it easy to clean and maintain. A wiping cloth is enough to keep your glossy surface clean
- Not to mention, these finishes usually bring out the true colour of the material and make it look vibrant. You can go bold when going for glossy finishes!
Cons of Glossy Surfaces
- Since glossy surfaces are very smooth, little flaws can be spotted very easily on them. It is very important to steer clear of fingerprints and scratches.
- It is not for everyone. Glosssy finishes look good only in modern settings and not so much in traditional ones.
Now that we’ve given you the lowdown on matte vs glossy finishes, you can make an informed choice. But be sure to read this quick guide before you make a choice! And do not forget to tell us what you picked and why! Send in your comments and suggestion to editor@praveenlivspace-com.
Wondering how our customers feel about working with Livspace? You can check out the Livspace kitchen reviews here!
How Can Livspace Help You?
We hope you found our ideas useful! If you want your home to be just as beautiful, then look no further. Book an online consultation with Livspace today. Delivering safe home interiors has been our No. 1 priority. Click here to find out how interiors are being delivered following all safety protocols.